Sep 30, 2008

Nutrition and Marketing: What Is Right For Children?

Last week I brought the current topic of video gaming for foodies to the table. I am absolutely fascinated with the way food has grown into such a huge market for entertainment. Video games are just one avenue through which food is becoming a main course for people of all ages. While sitting and thinking about the food video games, an associated topic came to mind. There have always been discussions about how kids playing video games and watching television prevents exercising and eating well. I started to wonder how marketing makes a difference when it comes to what kids are eating. This week I chose to comb through the blogosphere in hopes of finding a lot on my topic of choice, food and food marketing to kids (see picture to the left). This happens to be a somewhat controversial topic in the blogosphere. The first blog I came across “What’s In Store”, published by Dr. Susan Finn, a nutrition professional who has spent a large amount of her career trying to build productive partnerships to make better choices when it comes to nutrition. The post that I found entitled “Food Marketing to Children and Adolescents”, discussed how in October 2008, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) conducted a survey on food marketing to youth and called on the companies to “adopt and adhere to meaningful, nutrition-based standards for marketing their products to children under 12.” In this blog she offers the information and research from the FTC as well as acknowledges that 13 of the largest food and beverage companies have adopted the initiative but that it is going to take much more. The second blog I found was entitled, “Restaurant Kids’ Meals Pack Adult Sized Calories”, published by CalorieLab.com’s Robert S. Wieder in the Calorie Counter News Section. This post discusses the nutritional information from chain restaurants, how it compares to the daily caloric intake standards for children and what they are doing to improve the situation (see picture to the right). I chose to comment on these posts in hopes that I might get a response about how long it will take to get restaurants and marketing techniques more effective regulations when it comes to youth nutrition. I offered up my comments on each blog. They can be found by clicking on the links as well as below.

What’s In Store” – My Response:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a post on this subject matter, as well as your blog. I find it very interesting and highly educational. It makes me feel good to know that there are people in the world that devote their time to such a worthy cause. I am glad that you included links to a marketing workshops agenda. I came across the statement, “Some food companies have also modified their packaging to encourage portion control and make nutritious foods more convenient for parents and more appealing to children.” I found this to be true specifically from walking around markets and observing the products. Yes, it is a step in the right direction. The problem I find with this marketing technique is even though the packaging is portion controlled; companies still haven’t tackled the fact that many people will continue to eat more than one package. The truth is if you ask people about their daily caloric intake, most have no idea. Every product is required to have a nutrition label but most of the time people tend to look at the fat content and assume that if it is low in fat, it is okay. Do you think it would be a smart idea for marketing as a whole to involve the daily nutritional information? For example, if companies sell 100-calorie packs of cookies, require a marketing campaign with other companies to show how their products can fulfill the requirements for daily percentage values and caloric intake? Are there campaigns to have that sort of marketing and advertising aimed at adults with children, implemented on a national level?

I absolutely enjoyed reading your blog, specifically this post. However, I would’ve liked to read more about your personal opinions regarding the subject matter. The fact that you are a nutritional professional would bring a different angle to the marketing story. I am positive that you can provide innovative thoughts on the best way to reach the public regarding this very important matter.


Restaurant Kids’ Meals Pack Adult Sized Calories” – My response:

Thank so much for providing information on this subject. The comment “American Kids get their one third of their caloric intake from restaurant meals” was incredibly thought provoking. After spending a lot of time recently in restaurants on a very strict diet (based solely on calories) it is easy to see how people, especially children are becoming obese. It is shocking to see at most of the restaurants the average caloric value was over twice what it should be for one main meal. If that number stayed consistent for 2-3 meals per day, does that mean kids will be consuming approximately 3,000 calories? Do you feel like it has a lot to do with marketing? That it might be a problem if restaurants are advertising their establishments as a prime source of nutrition and daily intake for kids? It is mentioned that the restaurant association is putting the blame on parents stating that nutrition starts at home and that kids are not getting an adequate amount of exercise. Even if a child is exercising every day, consuming 830 calories for meal is definitely not considered healthy. I feel that Subway has taken a step in the right direction offering apples, milk and yogurt to children as well as adults for meals. The problem is if a child gets a sub loaded with cheese and mayo, it will exceed their intake for that meal. What additional steps are being taken with restaurants that are at least publishing their foods caloric values?

I am highly disappointed in restaurants for their lack of concern when it comes to nutrition for children. Your article is a great way to create awareness on these highly important topics. I would love to see correspondence from some of these establishments with explanations of how they feel their products are healthy as well as more of your opinion as a journalist on this matter.

1 comment:

Jason Shoman said...

I would like to start this comment by expressing that I really enjoy the topic that you have chosen to blog about in general. I would personally much rather read a blog about food rather than most topics I am able to think of from the top of my head. The topics that you choose to write about have been consistently interesting and informative. I like that you chose a topic that few have chosen to write about because I probably would not have been exposed to these ideas otherwise. This post specifically has made me wonder about my fast-food intake, considering I get the regular adult meals, while the kids meals may already contain almost half of a days worth of calories.
In the comments you left to the blogs you read, I believe that you have achieved a great sense of conversation. This is something that I found difficult to accomplish while writing my own, but the way you praise the blogger while offering your suggestions and questions is a great balance between professional and conversational. This balance is specifically noted when you comment to the “Whats in Store” blog by asserting “Yes, it is a step in the right direction. The problem I find with this marketing technique is even though the packaging is portion controlled”. Your language boasts a knowledge of the subject, rather than a forced reply. I believe that I’ll be able to achieve this more easily in my next post by following your example.

My only suggestion is to perhaps comment a bit more on the other side of the argument. I know that some of the unhealthier fast food chains, in opposition to subway, offer a variety of heathy alternatives in their combination meals (I believe Wendy’s is one example but I am not certain). Additionally I believe that fast food restaurants are required to have nutritional facts on hand if customers ask for them. If this is the case, there is there a chance that the consumer is to blame for falling into these marketing schemes? But then again, they cannot expect young children to be concerned with counting calories on their own accord.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.